Location: Thiruvallur, TN, India
Date Posted: Oct 22, 2019
As a Tool Design Engineer at Caterpillar, you will be technical expert contributing to concept design, development, validation of jigs, fixtures and gauges used in the manufacturing process of varying complexity. The position often confronts complex issues and problems that require careful analysis and diagnosis. Problems are often unique and solutions can require original approaches.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
* Establishes standards and works with shop personnel to resolve problems related to process, tooling, equipment, etc
* Execute feasibility study of the proposed tool design and work with manufacturing engineering to arrive at the final functional specification of the tool design for fabrication, machining& assembly toolings.
* Ensuring the timely design & development of jigs, fixtures and gauges for the shop floor including special tooling requirements when needed.
* Performs design calculations and participates in design decisions.
* Works with considerable latitude in coordinating and providing design expertise.
* Validate the tool design created in terms of structural aspects using creo simulation / other FEA packages.
* Refines and improves Tooling designs by conducting investigations and developing solutions that meet safety, quality & cost agenda.
* Provides training, development and motivation for a staff of designers, drafting technicians and purchased drafting support, capable of completing objectives and implementing cost reduction projects and meeting requirements of the manufacturing/assembly process. Work assignments may be specialized in nature but may also be broad based with coordination between other staff personnel to complete a larger project.
* Supervises or manages a work unit of primarily management and salaried employees where planning, scheduling, monitoring, and reviewing work of subordinates is required .
* Responsible for expense budgets, capital forecasts and expenditures, and all personnel issues in the area including performance evaluations of subordinates.
* Confronts complex issues and problems that require careful analysis and diagnosis.
* This position requires thorough knowledge of manufacturing concepts in Fabrication, machining, assembly, heat treat operations, etc., gained acquisition of an appropriate technical or university degree combined with a minimum of 15 year of appropriate manufacturing experience as designer and supervisor.
* Excellent knowledge & experience in the design of Jigs, gauges, templates & work holding fixtures, lifting fixtures, machining fixtures incorporating pneumatic & hydraulic clamps and fit-up fixtures
* Knowledge in the calculation of the machining cutting force, selection of the cylinders/ clamps, knowledge about various suppliers of cylinders, pumps & other components required for the design, structural requirement for testing fixtures are required. Should have very good knowledge on the various assembly tools (manual & power) available in the market.
* Excellent competency to read & interpret engineering and manufacturing drawing, GD&T symbols required. Candidate should be very fluent in the Creo modelling software
* Should be able to effectively communicate the project status, updates, results to the stakeholders
BE Mechanical Engineer with minimum 8 years of experience in heavy equipment / auto mobile industries is preferred.