Since 1925, Caterpillar Inc. has been helping our customers build a better world - making sustainable progress possible and driving positive change on every continent. With 2019 sales and revenues of $53.8 billion, Caterpillar is the world's leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. Services offered throughout the product life cycle, cutting-edge technology and decades of product expertise set Caterpillar apart, providing exceptional value to help our customers succeed. The company principally operates through three primary segments - Construction Industries, Resource Industries, and Energy & Transportation - and provides financing and related services through its Financial Products segment. For more information, visit caterpillar.com. To connect on social media, visit caterpillar.com/social-media.
This level represents a shift from learning and assisting to leading and managing Environmental, Health and/or Safety (EHS) assignments that are broader, more complex and challenging in nature.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
The key role of this EHS position is to move from learning and assisting others to contributing independently. At this level, EHS professionals begin providing technical guidance within and between units and other teams. Ability to gather relevant information, compare and contrast data, identify relationships and predict and manage failures is critical. Opportunities include challenging the status quo and championing new initiatives, collaborating with team members and other teams, and keeping abreast of advancing technology and regulations. Decisions may affect the work group or project teams, suppliers, multiple units and both internal and external customers.
Individuals may have multiple assignments during their tenure as an EHS Professional. Assignments may require reviewing the work of other support personnel, provide technical advice to individuals at various levels in the organization and work with another unit or team. Assignments will become more complex and may require assuming a significant role, either as an individual contributor or as part of a project team, with increasing emphasis on analyzing, identifying and applying techniques to solve problems and make recommendations.
EHS professionals must manage their own development, continuously learning through experience and staying abreast of technology and regulation changes. Key learning should be rounded out during this tenure including knowledge of Caterpillar and competitive product performance and application, understanding of customers' need, working knowledge of key processes, data analysis and data extraction skills. Project management skills are being honed at this level.
Performs standard assignments that require some interpretation of data and regulations, identification of problem sources, and possible remedial actions.
* Identifies applicable EHS regulations and evaluates impact to the facility.
* Performs inspections and tests to verify compliance.
* Identifies existing and potential EHS problems.
* Participates in developing corrective measures.
* Develops procedures to assure continuing compliance with regulations and organization standards.
* Develops management systems for EHS functions.
* Participates on teams to ensure compliance with organization and government EHS standards.
* Performs EHS audits
* Develops EHS training programs
* Completes reports for submission to EPA or OSHA
* 2 to 4 years of EHS experience.
* Ability to communicate effectively with team members and others in the work group, as well as employees in other units, customers, and suppliers.
Top Candidates Will Also Have:
* Degree in an appropriate scientific discipline (consideration will be given to equivalent environmental/health/safety experience).
* 5 to 7 years of environmental/health/safety experience.
* Ability to perform complex assignments.
* Experience working with a different unit or working with different products, processes or systems.
* The location for this position is in East Peoria, IL at the KK facility
* Relocation assistance is not available for this position. Any relocation costs will be incurred by the candidate.
* This is a full-time position on 1st shift. However, 2nd and 3rd shift work will be required on occasion.
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.